The Hall is a large Grade II listed building dating back to the early 17th century and is set in 2.75 acres of landscaped wooded gardens. The earliest known reference to Howlish Hall was in 1345 when it was mentioned in Bishop Hadfield's survey. It was then known as Howledge and was owned by the Hopper family.
Howlish Hall is conveniently located in Coundon but is centralised to Shildon, Spennymoor, Newton Aycliffe and Bishop Auckland in County Durham, England. With extensive views over the fields and open countryside, residents and visitors will appreciate the grounds and enjoy the peace and tranquillity of a country setting.
Howlish Hall was one of the first privately owned nursing homes in the Bishop Auckland area, having been restored from a derelict building in 1985, by the partnership Mrs. Joyce Spenceley RGN responsible for nursing and Mr. Tony Williams (now retired). Mr John Spenceley joined the company in 1992. We are still one of the few owner-managed homes in the area and in 2005, our 20th anniversary year, a new 17 bed extension was added.